PIPM: Pretty in Pink Megan: Ultimate Honeymoon Post

Ultimate Honeymoon Post

When Rob first asked me where I wanted to go on my honeymoon, I immediately responded with, "Maldives! Fiji! Paris!" ... I quickly learned that such a trip would be hard to accomplish for a honeymoon. Rob could only take off so many days and a flight to Maldives would require a whole day and a half of travel time. This brings me to my first honeymoon tip: Go somewhere that is easy to get to. You really won't care where you are ... all you'll care about it laying out in the sun and eating bad. San Juan required one easy stop in Atlanta proceeded by a 3.5 hour flight to Puerto Rico.

My first travel observation was noted at 4:25 the morning after our wedding: Life is Expensive! Okay, since when did Delta start charging FIFTEEN dollar per checked bag? I travel a good bit every year and have never encountered such fees as we did on this trip. I heard a rumor about this baggage fee, but I never believed that it would actually happen. Oh yes fellow bloggers, if you intend on bringing a suitcase (which all travelers do) be prepared to pay fifteen dollars for you "excess baggage" ... I love how they call it excess, like you taking a suitcase on a trip is so out of the ordinary? In addition to our suitcase fiasco, we arrived back in Atlanta earlier than anticipated on Saturday afternoon hoping to get on an earlier flight to Memphis. Instead of waiting on our scheduled 3 hour layover, we noticed the exact same Delta flight was leaving for Memphis in 10 minutes... we ran over to the desk to see if the earlier flight was full (it wasn't) and we were told that there were plenty of empty seats on the flight. Great! we thought ... we wouldn't have to sit in the Atlanta airport for three hours. Oh no, don't worry ... it's fee time! To get on the earlier empty flight to Memphis, we would have to pay TWO fifty dollar "Re-booking fees". Um, I don't think so. We decided we would just people watch for three hours (which I love to do in airports). But seriously, 50 dollars just to get on an earlier flight that wasn't full? bogus!

Okay, so all of this rambling brings me to my second honeymoon tip: Be prepared to spend A LOT of money (unless your resort is all-inclusive).

We stayed at the Waldorf Astoria El San Juan, which was a fabulous five star resort that was full of posh decor, lounge music, and a salsa band that provided live entertainment every night. I absolutely loved our hotel.

On the second day as I was lounging in our beachside cabana, my nosey ears honed in on someone talking about how Marc Anthony and J Lo were staying in our hotel. "WHAT!", I screamed to Rob. I took it as a mission to celeb-stalk. I immediately told Rob that we were going to post up in the lobby, because if there were celebrities staying at our hotel they would surely have drivers and black cars would be parked outside our hotel. We rushed to the lobby only to find no cars in our hotel drive. Dissapointed, I insisted that we sit around for a bit to take in the surroundings and see if I noticed anything suspect with the hotel workers indicating that a celebrity was there. I noticed an unusual short man sitting in the couches by the doors. He was holding a VERY expensive camera and was constantly checking his cell-phone. Instantly, I thought "PUERTO-RICAN PAPARAZZI!!!!!". I followed the little man to another couch near the entrance to our hotel. He started to look excited and got up and ran out the door. I snapped at Rob to "GET YOUR CAMERA READY" and what did I see? Well, first I saw a caravan of black escalades roll up to our hotel... and then MARC ANTHONY AND ENTOURAGE walking into our hotel. This man travels with a pack ... he must have had at least 20 people with him. Let me tell you, I have trained my husband to be a paparazzo, because without instruction, Rob walks right up to Marc Anthony and SNAPS a picture right in his face. Sidenote: I got Rob a Cannon DSLR Rebel for a wedding gift, so naturally, he looks like a paparazzi with a camera like that. Marc and his entourage all gave strange looks to Rob ... that, my friends, is how we became the Marc Anthony stalkers on our honeymoon. From that point on, I swear, we saw Marc & Co at least 10 times in our hotel and they always gave us weird looks (probably because they thought rob was a pap). I personally did not see J Lo even though I heard several people say that she was there as well. I was hoping to see her and proclaim my love for her acting career (Maid in Manhattan, THE WEDDING PLANNER, Enough) ... yes, I am a sucker for awful movies.

Third honeymoon tip: Pray that you see a celebrity ... it was fun!

Okay, back to the second tip about money ... luckily we had several people that gave us "honeymoon spending money" and good thing we did ... our dinners were about 150 + each night. Also, we got a grand idea to get a "Couples massage" one day. Not so much ... it ended up being 300 dollars and honestly, it wasn't that great.

Okay, I am sorry this post rambled A LOT, but I just knew that you all would be excited for my Marc Anthony story ...

NOW ON TO THE PICTURES!

Our poolside cabana:


The beach:


A portion of our hotel:


Hotel Lobby and blue bar:


Marc Anthony Pap Shot:


Outfit Shot (Ellen & Ollie Dress, Cynthia Vincent wedges, Chanel purse):


Rob and Mojito:


Dancing to the 24/7 techno music in our hotel:


El Morro and Old San Juan:





Bacardi Rum Factory Tour:


Dinner one night:


Beach shot (I'm not sure why I look so pale in this picture, I was actually sunburnt):


Last night:

24 comments:

Sassy&Classy said...

It seems like all the expenses aside...you had a lot of fun! Congrats to the both of you!!!

Randall @ Happy For This Moment said...

I love San Juan - so glad you had a wonderful trip!

Anonymous said...

sounds like so much fun!!!

Everyday Adventures said...

Great pics!! Looks like you had a blast! Thanks for the honeymoon advice!!

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

So this line made me laugh - "Maldives! Fiji! Paris!" - that is exactly how my travel loving mind works.

I've only been briefly in San Juan, but what I saw was beautiful. So glad you had a fantastic honeymoon there.

PS - LOVE that Ellen & Ollie dress!

Newlywed Hostess said...

though it was not your first choice of hopping around the planet, I bet San Jaun was beautiful. I loved my brief visit there and would love to go back for much longer.
PS You looked beautiful in your wedding pictures.

Kembree said...

Cool, you got a similar pic at El Morro that I did :) We wanted to do the Barcardi tour and spent too much time at the Fort and didnt make it! Looks like a lot of fun ..We cant wait to go back :)

Jess said...

wow! what a great honeymoon, all expenses aside, of course.
you look beautiful in all your pictures and the hotel looked divine. oh, and a celebrity siting too, how fabulous!

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous honeymoon!

Anonymous said...

Your hotel looks so gorgeous!! What a fabulous trip!!

http://fab.typepad.com/brunette

Ashley Turner said...

Love the hall dancing shot! hahaha

Can I make a request? I'd love to hear more about your time frame the day of the wedding... I think many of us first time brides would be curious to hear about what worked and what didn't work in terms of how early you put on your dress, time frame of pre-ceremony photos, how early to get your hair/make-up done, etc... I'm so nervous about these things!

Welcome back!!!

Ashley Turner said...

Thanks! Will look forward to reading it - so nervous I'll put my super strength spanx on too early or will be lacing up my corset on the way down the aisle! hahahaha

Jennifer said...

What a great trip! I will have to remember to book an all-inclusive hotel when I go on a honeymoon one day. $150 for dinner, eek! Although, it looks like your honeymoon was wonderful and you had a great time! You won't remember the money, but you will remember the happiness!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Hahah! I love the Marc Anthony story! Great! I'm glad you had a good time!

d.a.r. said...

How much fun and what great stories!! We did the all-inclusive route and after hearing about your dinner expenses I am grateful that we did!!! Yikes!

Petunia said...

Sounds like fun! Vacations are always so darn expensive, but your honeymoon is worth it! I love all of the pictures!
The Lilly bikini looks so great on you--I may have to try it on again. I think the bottoms seemed too low to me or something....don't remember. :)

GingerSnap said...

Looks like you had a great time :) I love that you two were celebrity stalkers for the week :)

Courtney said...

Thanks for your advice on honeymoons and for adding me to your blog list. I have gotten so many ideas from you!
P.S. I quit JL! Isn't it sad? I couldn't do it and plan a wedding at the same time. . .

Shasta said...

Vacations are so expensive! Especially touristy destinations, where they know that you are at their mercy, so they charge you all they want! I love all of your pics! I have to know, how does the Lilly bikini go, size wise? No one sells Lilly locally, so I always order online. I am so unsure of what size to order. I just need to bite the bullet and order it 4 sizes and send back whatever doesn't fit!

You are going to freak when you see the ring that my husband gave me for mothers day! It looks so similar to your engagement ring. Taking pics of jewelry is so hard. Every pic I take comes out blurry. I am determined to have a pic up by tomorrow!

Have a good night Pretty! Thanks again for the lovely pics!

Chloe said...

Great pictures! And funny Marc Anthony story- that'll be something to cherish (and laugh over) for years! How awesome.

Chloe said...

Oh and ps- the Ellie & Ollie dress is to die for! I think it's the most darling thing I've ever seen- love it!

The Shabby Princess said...

It sounds like even if it was pricey, it was a great honeymoon. Holy moly you are in awesome shape girl!!!!

ms. mindless said...

my favorite picture is of you techno dancing in the hallway. SOO funny! i also love that you are able to rock that gray j crew dress. when i tried it on, it literally looked as if my "girls" had wings and were trying to fly away from my body! it looks like you had a wonderful time! i also agree with wanting to go to the maldives. i honestly look at the w resort in the maldives about twice per week and want t go there so badly!

Rebecca Harber said...

Wow it looks beautiful there. I'm glad y'all had a great time, except for the few added expenses. Congrats to you both and I hope you have a wonderful life together.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

design + development by kiki and co.